Wednesday 21 March 2012

Paris

Our next stop on our journey was Paris. I am now officially obsessed with Paris.  Words can't really explain how much I loved it there.  Paris didn't get off to that great of a start though, we walked around with our bags in the cold rain without a map trying to find our hostel for awhile, and we were exhausted when we finally settled in, so we just had dinner and got organized for our remaining days.


Things we did in Paris:


New Europe Walking Tour: These things are seriously awesome, they are free and you walk around the city for over 3 hours seeing everything there is to see and learning cool facts.  I love history, so hearing stories behind bridges and buildings was pretty awesome.


The Louvre: We went to The Louvre Friday night because it was open late, and it was free! Winning. People say they could spend multiple days in the Louvre, but I feel like that might be a little too much.  The over three hours that we were in there seemed like the perfect amount of time. We got to see the Mona Lisa, which was pretty cool. Also I'm taking an art history class here at Dublin, and I was able to see some paintings that we discussed in class.  What is really cool about the louvre is that the museum itself is a piece of art, the architecture and decorations are so amazing (after all it was a palace).


The Eiffel Tower: Every time we saw the Eiffel tower in the distance we would get super excited.  When we finally reached the tower it was amazing.  We climbed to the second floor and had some amazing views of the city.  I honestly think it is way better to climb the steps instead of taking the elevator to the top. Then at night we came back to the tower (twice) to see it all light up. It was so beautiful and I will remember it forever.


Notre Dame:  I was super excited to see the gargoyles and the bell tower, since I did have a Disney Hunchback of Notre Dame backpack when I was in first grade that had a holographic dancing Esmerelda. (Thanks Mom and Dad for sending me to school in style.)  The views were beautiful from the tower, and the inside of the church was also very beautiful.


Montmarte:  We spent a day exploring this more artsy side of Paris.  The streets are still winding instead of the boulevards of the city closer to the river.  The city was really cool, and we got to see the Moulin Rogue as well as a street artists circle where we checked out some awesome artwork and paintings.


River Cruise: At night we went on a cruise of the Seine and got to see all the beautiful buildings lit up. It was so pretty! I think the young Italian couple sitting in front of us summed it up perfectly.  They turned to me and Katie and asked us if the structure we were passing was the Notre Dame, which we replied yes.  The guy then said "Mama mia" while gazing at in in admiration.


Versailles:  When we arrived at Versailles, which came across some sort of military celebration taking place in the square.  Obviously we stood around to check it out, and all of a sudden a parade and some old tanks and a bunch of people walking behind flags came up to the square.  It was all in French so I'm not sure what was taking place.  At one point this little nugget old lady was standing somewhat in front of me and I moved so she could get a better view, she turned to me and said something in French and I smiled and said I didn't speak French and she just said something else and pinched my cheek. Precious. Then we got into Versailles which was so amazing.  It was perfect because with our visas from Ireland we got in for free (winning!) we saved like 20 euros.  The palace was breathtaking, and the Hall of Mirrors was awesome.  It was just so cool to be in Marie Antoinnette's room and have them point out the door in the wall that she escaped the mob through.  We also spent a lot of time walking around the gorgeous gardens and went to Marie Antoinnette's apartment (aka a large house).  We had some of our snacks that we had packed in a gazebo looking out at the scenery. It was lovely.


The Pantheon: I'm still not really sure what the Pantheon was, but it was pretty cool.


Arc De Triumph: We didn't pay to go to the top, but we did take jumping pictures in front of it and walk under it to the...


Champs Elysees:  My shopping heaven. The Sephora was so big. No wonder why I loved Paris.









Ate delicious food:I went a little bit crazy on the crepes. Soooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment